Friday, October 28, 2011

Blessed is the man who always fears the LORD, but he who hardens his heart falls into trouble. Prov 28:14


The "fear" of the Lord is often misunderstood, especially by those who have little concept of the peace and security found in knowing Him, and walking with Him.  It is thought by many that the fear is designed to scare followers into submission to God's law, or to keep them from examining doctrine too closely.  

But, for myself, having had a strong and Godly, loving earthly father, know another meaning.  It is the "fear" that accompanies a child in total awe of the POWER OF DAD...the force that can (and will) move heaven and earth on behalf of a much-loved child when she is in danger.  Picture a child facing an oncoming villian, totally unaware of the fierce father standing over his fearful charge, ready to leap and crush the danger to dust to defend his treasure.  The child, having seen the complete annihilation of formidable enemies would be "fearful"  if it was not that the destroyer was also protector, standing as a fortress against anything that would cause harm.


I have known this wonderful protection, and am secure in the "everlasting arms" of my Father.  Whenever I am exploited or cheated by someone, I can pity them because I know the fearsome protector that treasures me and will act on my behalf.  I say "pity" because the offender usually has no clue of the consequences awaiting them.  I can honestly pray for leniency for the offender, having some idea of the great love my Father has for me, and having some idea of the penalty for those who take advantage of His people.


How unfortunate it would be to turn away from this great love and protection; to have that kind of power withdrawn by my own choice to harden my heart against God.  Let it never be so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment