Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Do the Right Thing

Prov. 4:18 The path of the righteous is like the first gleam of dawn, shining ever brighter till the full light of day.  

This week I met with the brother of a friend.  Doug was missing his sister, my friend, who passed away 2 months ago.  I first met Janice when she was trying to break an addiction to alcohol, a struggle she maintained for several years before I met her.  Doug and his family had helped Janice down the rehab road many times giving her moral support, and whatever would assist and not harm.  


The focus of our meeting was Janice's house, which I agreed to manage for her while she was in rehab.  The tenants have a one-year lease, which I signed and guaranteed.  Their question for me was, "Why?  Why are you doing this?  Are you gaining?  Who is?"  


My only answer was that virtue is its own reward.  I made a commitment to Janice and to her tenants, and I intend to do what I said.  Yes, it's a headache.  Yes, it costs me some of my own money.  But the deciding factor for me was, would I want someone to do this for me?  If I were the tenants, would I want someone to defend my lease?  Yes, I would.  


When I put on the helmet of salvation, years ago, I took up the breastplate of righteousness, too.  (Read move about the armor of God in Ephesians, Chapter 6.)  The breastplate represents the blood of Christ - which covers my heart and my sins, but it also means that I DO THE RIGHT THING.  I choose to do the right thing to honor the ONE who gave me life... the ONE who continues to give me life.  


So, friends, love God and love people.  The two commandments.  Treat others like you want to be treated.  It will be the right thing and your heart will be guarded by the breastplate of righteousness, and blessed by God.

No comments:

Post a Comment