Proverbs 22:22-23 Do not exploit the poor because they are poor, and do not crush the needy in court; for the Lord will take up their case and will plunder those who plunder them.
Years ago we were selling a property. Our attorney demanded $2,000 MORE dollars to do the closing than the sum to which we had all agreed. We were out of state, the attorney was holding all the cards and we all knew it. The buyers were there with cash - but not enough to pay his raise in fees. My husband had only recently been laid off from his company, and was, at that time unemployed, but we felt there was nothing we could do, except trust the Lord. So we agreed to pay. We are STILL paying, since that was our agreement.
There have been many times I have wished for a good (and honest) attorney. Many wrongs go unpunished since the poor (and the new middle class-poor) cannot afford to defend themselves much less prosecute wrong-doers.
Though I have read this verse many times, only today did I see that "the Lord will take up their case..." He will accept their case in court, as it were. He is our advocate, not only before the Father, but in the court of LIFE. Verse 23 says "He will plunder those who plunder them". (the poor)
When I look at our financial situation, and our family and work situations, I realize that we are below poverty level by many standards... we would qualify for food assistance, energy assistance, probably Medicaid, but we have chosen to trust the Lord, and not the government. AND we have everything we need! We have food, because we distribute food for the food bank; we have shelter because the Lord lead us to some people with a run-down property who needed to sell. (And we LOVE to fix up old places). We have vehicles that are paid for, and run (thanks to the Lord's blessing and my husband's mechanical skills - which grow each time we break down!) WE ARE BLESSED AND JOYFUL.
But, I wonder about this attorney, this man who would sell his integrity for a mere $2000. Is his family happier and healthier because of the $50 per month we are STILL paying him? Or is the Lord plundering his family, his fortune and his soul?
Years ago we were selling a property. Our attorney demanded $2,000 MORE dollars to do the closing than the sum to which we had all agreed. We were out of state, the attorney was holding all the cards and we all knew it. The buyers were there with cash - but not enough to pay his raise in fees. My husband had only recently been laid off from his company, and was, at that time unemployed, but we felt there was nothing we could do, except trust the Lord. So we agreed to pay. We are STILL paying, since that was our agreement.
There have been many times I have wished for a good (and honest) attorney. Many wrongs go unpunished since the poor (and the new middle class-poor) cannot afford to defend themselves much less prosecute wrong-doers.
Though I have read this verse many times, only today did I see that "the Lord will take up their case..." He will accept their case in court, as it were. He is our advocate, not only before the Father, but in the court of LIFE. Verse 23 says "He will plunder those who plunder them". (the poor)
When I look at our financial situation, and our family and work situations, I realize that we are below poverty level by many standards... we would qualify for food assistance, energy assistance, probably Medicaid, but we have chosen to trust the Lord, and not the government. AND we have everything we need! We have food, because we distribute food for the food bank; we have shelter because the Lord lead us to some people with a run-down property who needed to sell. (And we LOVE to fix up old places). We have vehicles that are paid for, and run (thanks to the Lord's blessing and my husband's mechanical skills - which grow each time we break down!) WE ARE BLESSED AND JOYFUL.
But, I wonder about this attorney, this man who would sell his integrity for a mere $2000. Is his family happier and healthier because of the $50 per month we are STILL paying him? Or is the Lord plundering his family, his fortune and his soul?

No comments:
Post a Comment